Effective/updated as of March 25, 2022
Inventive, Confident, Simple, Inclusive. These are the design principles we use across all solutions and experiences we create at Emergn.
Inclusive means that we are committed to making digital experiences usable by all people, whatever their abilities or disabilities. We want every visit to our website to be a rewarding experience.
Creating an inclusive experience
To help make the Emergn website an inclusive place for more users, we have been using the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities, and user-friendly for everyone.
The guidelines have three levels of accessibility (A, AA, and AAA). We set the goal of reaching the AA level as the target for the Emergn website.
Our accessibility goals
- Follow WCAG 2.1 AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Conduct formal and informal accessibility evaluations against the guidelines to continuously improve.
- Be optimized for use with assistive technologies like screen readers, magnifiers, navigation switches and speech recognition software.
- Engage with disabled people to understand their requirements and incorporate them into our improvement plans.
What we have done
- Made adjustments so our brand respects color and font contrast ratios.
- Improved the support for both portrait and landscape orientation on mobile.
- Ensured most content be zoomed in up to 400% without any text overlapping.
- Fixed issues with keyboard navigation, including being able to easily bypass repetitive menu links via a skip to content link on all pages.
- Validated that our website can be navigated using speech recognition software.
- Optimized our pages so they can be read out by a screen reader and are easily understood.
We know that some parts of this website are not yet 100% accessible:
- Some PDF documents may not be fully accessible to screen reader software. Please contact us if you wish to request an alternative version of any PDF content.
- Older video content may not be fully accessible in terms of audio description. We aim to improve on this for future video content we share on the website.
- Some videos lack audio descriptions and text alternatives. We aim to include transcripts for future video content.
We are currently working hard to achieve our goal of Level AA accessibility and ensure that the content is announced by screen readers in a way that matches the visual and logical order of the webpage.
- We are solving the problem where text in key images is not accessible by screen readers, which in turn makes the content more difficult to access for everybody.
- We are aware that some interactive components don’t supply information to screen readers when their status is changed, so we are working on changing that.
Let us know what you think
If you enjoyed the Emergn website, or if you had trouble with any part of it, please get in touch by sending us an email to [email protected]
You can read more about our experience design expertise and experience here.